ASSET – independent living support for adults with Asperger Syndrome
ASSET is an outreach service for adults with Asperger syndrome that enables individuals to maintain and increase levels of independence when living in the community. Support packages are tailored to individual need and choice and are based on good practice approaches to Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD).
Our key aims are to:
- Help individuals gain greater self-awareness and develop their understanding of their own ASD
- Ultimately support individuals to have developed robust skills and confidence to manage day to day life independently
We are part of autism west midlands, a registered charity and independent provider of services for people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders.
Housing Related Support
ASSET is able to offer housing related support to people with Asperger Syndrome living in the Sandwell area.
This is not ‘care’.
ASSET deliver this support by visiting people in their homes or tenancies weekly and work with the person to achieve personal outcomes.
What kind of support does the service provide?
Housing-related support can provide help and advice in all sorts of areas. Examples include:
- Budgeting and financial management
- Setting up and maintaining tenancies and resettlement support
- Understanding and claiming benefits
- Life skills and being independent at home
- Finding a GP and accessing other necessary community services
- Dealing with other agencies
- Emotional support
- Help with meeting others with the same condition
“My support worker is always helpful and gives me the help I especially need when I ask as well as help with day to day welfare. He has also helped me with benefits I am entitled to and to understand my disability better.”
[Service user feedback]
Sandwell AS Support Group
We run a dedicated monthly support group for adults with Asperger Syndrome. It is for individuals who are interested in talking about Asperger Syndrome and about many different topics to do with life in general. It also offers social opportunities and can help increase an individual’s confidence and skills.
For more information please call 0121 525 4529
Sandwell Resource Centre is located at 7 St Michaels Court, Victoria Street, West Bromwich B70 8ET
autism.west midlands is an independent provider of services for people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders
autism.west midlands l Registered Office: 18 Highfield Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 3DU Registered Charity Number 517077 l Registered Company Number 1953344 (England & Wales) Chief Executive: Carolyn Bailey, BA Hons, MSc